ICPU™ for CICS®
- Find CICS Application Issues - Beyond a Monitor or Analyzer.
ICPU ™ is a real-time tool which is used to identify bottlenecks in application programs performance that can be eliminated by modifying the source code.
Analyzer/sampling products on the market have high overhead and complexity making them a system programming tool rarely used on production and strobe only for a short time. In many shops these products are not available to application programmers who know applications best and who can discover performance problems at early stages of development.
These products are postmortem tools used reactively after the problem occurred. They try to solve the problem by recreating it, or turning on sampling automatically, both of which may fail.
ICPU is innovative, user-friendly, effective, real-time CICS software, which was developed to answer these shortcomings. ICPU unique infrastructure results in a low, insignificant overhead and enables its unique functionality.
How do you save CPU cycles? You need to find the program that uses the most CPU and tune it. ICPU is the only sampling product that can run for an unlimited time on your production systems and identify this program. ICPU uncovers hidden CPU savings opportunities even for well-performing applications.
ICPU is a real-time product rather than the other postmortem and batch methodology used in lesser products. ICPU will identify the problem or exception when it occurs, send a notification and record the program and the offset within it, which are causing the exception, allowing for immediate investigation and resolution.
ICPU's unique functionality stems from its design, which keeps the sampling results in memory buffers, resulting in insignificant, low overhead. All the other products record a machine instruction trace, resulting in high, unacceptable overhead which limits the product applicability and functionality.
Those products are cumbersome to use and difficult to understand and used therefore only by system programming experts... missing the ability for all to play a role in an application performance management policy.
These limitations are the main reason for the known fact that these products are infrequently used. ICPU&trade, on the other hand, can be used on a daily basis by all personnel involved in the application lifecycle. This ensures that only optimal, highly supervised and reviewed programs are moved into production.
So why pay a high price for competitor's capabilities which used sparingly? I.E. the high overhead and the cost of the expert analyzing the results.
ICPU's very low overhead lets it easily run in Production, QA, or Test. Ideally, no one should wait until an application is in production to discover that it does not run well. Not only does it cost more to fix it, your application roll-out is delayed, your customers are not satisfied, and your reputation suffers.
It is estimated by some experts that fixing a performance problem at development time costs an eighth of what it costs to fix it at production time.
How do you save CPU cycles? You need to find the program that uses the most CPU in a day's work and tune it. ICPU is the only product that gives you this information, presenting CPU saving opportunities that are unknown otherwise.
ICPU uncovers hidden CPU savings opportunities even for well-performing applications.
Consider, for example, a program that runs a million times a day and consumes 10 milliseconds of CPU per run, which will add up to almost 3 hours of CPU per day. Reducing the CPU time of this program by third will save one hour of CPU time per day, or more than 15,000 minutes per year. At a rate of $12 per CPU minute, the yearly savings can be as much as $180,000.
ICPU is the only sampling product that can identify this unknown tuning opportunity, which will improve response time, postpone upgrades and reduce operational license costs.
ICPU innovative design includes the following features:
- Real Time – The sampling results are immediately available and can be viewed at any time during the sampling run and afterwards.
- Exception Notification - ICPU will notify you about any program that exceeds a predefined CPU usage threshold as soon as it occurs, so you can take a corrective action immediatly.
- Unlimited - ICPU can be used by any number of users, at any environment, at any time, for any length of time with no impact on the inspected systems.
- User-friendly – ICPU is easy to use and provides meaningful, easy-to-understand results.
- Unattended operation – ICPU can be set up to start automatically when CICS comes up or at any future time.
- Source listing – Matching of sampling data directly to COBOL source code.
- Standard coding – ICPU uses only standard z/OS/CICS interfaces.
- Online help – Available from any screen.
- Filtering – By user/transaction/terminal/program.
- Batch reports – Can be produced at anytime, even when sampling is still going on.
- Model inspections Ids – Any previous inspection can be used as a model for a new one.
- Generic Inspection Ids – A shorthand method of assigning Inspection Ids and referring to them.
- CPU breakdown – CPU usage and CICS services breakdown to the QR TCB and all the other TCBs, such as L8, L9 and TCB switching statistics.
- Installs in less than an hour.
Applications lifecycle management and quality made easier,
- Saves on the time required for Performance Analysis and problem finding
- Enables everyday Applications programmers to improve code and save money
- Improve programmer productivity and self sufficiency
- Easily analyze code throughout the maintenance lifecycle and review offshore code efficiency
- Reduce costs and improve service levels
- Hardware savings by discovering inefficient resources
- Recover machine capacity and avoid CPU upgrades.
Contact us to schedule a Q&A, Demo, or to learn more.